Re: Avoiding shutdown checkpoint at failover

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoiding shutdown checkpoint at failover
Date: 2011-11-28 09:30:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/13/2011 12:13 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Simon Riggs<simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> When I say skip the shutdown checkpoint, I mean remove it from the
>> critical path of required actions at the end of recovery. We can still
>> have a normal checkpoint kicked off at that time, but that no longer
>> needs to be on the critical path.
>>
>> Any problems foreseen? If not, looks like a quick patch.
> Patch attached for discussion/review.

This one was missed for the November CF; submitted in time but not added
to the app until just now. Given that Tom already voiced some specific
things to consider ("detailed review of all WAL replay activities") I
added it to the January one instead. If anyone has been looking for
reason to study WAL replay, by all means knock yourself out before then.