Re: WIP: Collecting statistics on CSV file data

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: Collecting statistics on CSV file data
Date: 2011-11-21 04:00:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(2011/11/19 0:54), Robert Haas wrote:
> 2011/11/18 Shigeru Hanada<shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> - I couldn't see the reason why file_fdw sets ctid of sample tuples,
>> though I guess it's for Vitter's random sampling algorithm. If every
>> FDW must set valid ctid to sample tuples, it should be mentioned in
>> document of AnalyzeForeignTable. Exporting some functions from
>> analyze.c relates this issue?
>
> If every FDW must set valid ctid to sample tuples, it should be fixed
> so that they don't have to, I would think.

It's for neither Vitter's algorithm nor exporting functions from
analyze.c. It's for "foreign index scan" on CSV file data that I plan
to propose in the next CF. So, it is meaningless for now. I'm sorry.
I will fix it at the next version of the patch so that they don't have to.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita