Re: Core Extensions relocation

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-11-18 20:36:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/18/11 12:27 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> Why do you figure that, exactly? The path of least resistance will
>> be precisely to leave everything packaged as it is, in a single
>> postgresql-contrib module. I'm pretty likely to do that myself for
>> Fedora and RHEL. Subdividing/rearranging contrib makes the packager's
>> life more complicated, *and* makes his users' lives more complicated,
>> if only because things aren't where they were before. It seems unlikely
>> to happen, at least in the near term.
>
> Then if we want packagers to move, what about removing all the
> extensions not listed by Greg from the contrib/ directory and inventing
> another place where to manage them, which is not automatically built,
> but still part of buildfarm tests, if at all possible.

Actually, the whole idea is that the "Core Management Extensions" should
move from the -contrib module to the -server module. That is, those
extensions should always get installed with any server.

Of course, packagers may then reasonably ask why that code is not just
part of the core?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.