Re: Cannot dump 8.4.8 database using later versions

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot dump 8.4.8 database using later versions
Date: 2011-11-15 10:16:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 15.11.2011 02:43, Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> ... somehow the query to dump the sequences is getting mangled. Any
>>> clue how?
>>
>> Seems you have a sequence called "new"; seems we don't handle that
>> well.
>
> So, tested this some more. For some reason, 8.4's pg_dump would
> recognize NEW as a reserved word and quote it before dumping. 9.0 and
> later pg_dump does not. Any ideas?

NEW used to be a reserved keyword, but it's not so in 9.0 anymore. So
9.0 pg_dump thinks it doesn't need to be quoted.

This is a problem with any keyword that was reserved (or
col_name_keyword or type_func_name_keyword) in an earlier release, but
has since been made unreserved. Looking at the history of our keyword
lists, that has happened to four keywords:

OFF (was reserved <= 8.4)
NEW (was reserved <= 8.4)
OLD (was reserved <= 8.4)
PUBLIC (was func_name_keyword <= 7.2)

There's also CONVERT, which used to be a col_name_keyword in versions <=
8.2, but that doesn't seem to cause trouble with pg_dump.

I'm thinking that we should add a list of these used-to-be keywords
somewhere in pg_dump (like in keywords.c), and check that list in
addition to the regular keyword list in fmtId().

--
Heikki Linnakangas