Re: Disable OpenSSL compression

From: Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: Tom Lane *EXTERN* <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disable OpenSSL compression
Date: 2011-11-08 17:20:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2011-11-08 22:59, Albe Laurenz wrote:

> In addition to the oprofile data I collected three times:
> - the duration as shown in the server log
> - the duration as shown by \timing
> - the duration of the psql command as measured by "time"

[...]

> I think this makes a good case for disabling compression.

It's a few data points, but is it enough to make a good case? As I
understand it, compression can save time not only on transport but also
on the amount of data that needs to go through encryption -- probably
depending on choice of cypher, hardware support, machine word width,
compilation details etc. Would it make sense to run a wider experiment,
e.g. in the buld farm?

Another reason why I believe compression is often used with encryption
is to maximize information content per byte of data: harder to guess,
harder to crack. Would that matter?

Jeroen