Re: autovacuum workers warning

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum workers warning
Date: 2011-10-26 19:57:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 26-10-2011 16:14, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Well, just increasing the number of workers would do nothing to solve
> the problem, because the more workers there are, the slower they work.
> The actual solution to the problem would be decreasing
> autovacuum_vacuum_delay_cost, and/or related knobs.

Why not? You're saying that parallelizing the work won't help? As about
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay, don't you think that 20ms isn't small enough to
suggest decreasing instead of increasing the number of workers?

> Wasn't there some discussion recently on measuring the length of the
> work queue, or something like that?

Yes, there is. As I said, it is an expensive and approximate measure. I'm not
saying that is not the right direction, I'm arguing that a hint is better than
nothing. Right now the only way to know if it is out of workers is to query
pg_stat_activity frequently.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira http://www.timbira.com.br/