archive_timeout runtime change

From: Birta Levente <blevi(dot)linux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: archive_timeout runtime change
Date: 2011-10-20 08:39:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I use postgrsql 9.1.1 and I want to change archive_timeout on a running
server. My default archive_timeout is 1800s, and nightly I want to
change to 3600s or more, but I get the following error message:

set archive_timeout='3600';
ERROR: parameter "archive_timeout" cannot be changed now

and

update pg_settings set setting='900' where name='archive_timeout';
ERROR: parameter "archive_timeout" cannot be changed now

I know is possible to change this parameter with pg_ctl reload, but I
think if is possible without changing the conf file.

Thanks

Levi