Re: new compiler warnings

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new compiler warnings
Date: 2011-10-18 13:56:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think that what Kevin was on about was something else entirely,
> namely whether we need to retry writes to disk.

I would phrase it that we need to *continue* a write to disk if the
OS chooses to write a portion of it and return to the caller with
the number actually written. If the first write, or any later
write, actually gets an error or fails to make progress, *then* we
should consider the attempt to be done. I don't understand the
point of not coding to the API.

-Kevin