Re: Moving to git

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Mike Fowler <mike(at)mlfowler(dot)com>, Guillaume Cottenceau <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving to git
Date: 2011-10-04 13:50:44
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 10/04/2011 04:35 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> So how does moving to git revolutionize the process ? I do understand
> that CVS is ancient but what changes if we move to git ?

The main wins for committers are:

- Local branches for work in progress code. Commit early, commit often.
When you are ready to publish your changes to the world, you have
options to clean up the history of your work so others can understand
it better (and to remove those "oops" commits) with tools like
squash merges and my favourite, "git rebase --interactive".

I've found these tools incredibly helpful even in my private
development.

- A local copy of history and the current state of the public repo.
It's easy to diff and revert without network access or delay.

- Speed. Everything is fast. This really does make a difference,
speaking as someone who's spent lots of time working with both
cvs and svn as well.

- Easier acceptance of changes from others via git format-patch,
push/pull and/or GitHub merge requests.

- Merges are so much less painful than with CVS.

- Some really convenient little goodies like "git stash".

For other contributors:

- It's way, way easier to follow development

- Personal feature branches are possible, practical, and easy. This
makes developing bigger changes way easier and makes it practical to
follow HEAD while doing so.

- Speed.

- It's trivial to produce a logical, sane and easily applied patch set
using "git rewrite --interactive" and "git format-patch".

--
Craig Ringer