Re: PL/Python

From: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>
To: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/Python
Date: 2011-10-03 12:17:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/03/2011 04:14 AM, Sim Zacks wrote:
> I don't know if there is an official definition, but an extension is
> generally a compiled program that is accessed by the SQL. It must be
> compiled with the postgresql headers and have the magic number defined.
> The compiled file must then be put into the lib directory with the other
> postgresql extensions.
>
> A user defined function does extend postgresql, but it doesn't have any
> of the complications.

As of 9.1 (and I *was* thinking in terms of 9.1 when I wrote
"EXTENSION"), there is a definition in:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createextension.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/extend-extensions.html

You'll notice that in the latter there is an example of a SQL-only
extension. That's why I thinking of Pyrseas as some plpython functions
as a true EXTENSION.

Joe