Re: A little pg_dump patch

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: info(at)enricopirozzi(dot)info
Cc: Enrico Pirozzi <sscotty71(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A little pg_dump patch
Date: 2011-09-19 15:07:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/19/2011 10:34 AM, Enrico Pirozzi wrote:
> Hi, I'm Enrico,
> I wrote a little pg_dump patch,
> I have introduced a new option to have a database dump without comments,
> no 'COMMENT ON' are written on the dump if my new option is selected.
>
> If this little piece of code can interest somebody, I'll be happy to
> share it with the community,

We had a recent discussion about filtering items in pg_dump /
pg_restore. My personal feeling is that we should provide filtering of
table data ion pg_dump, and pre-data and post-data sections in both, all
of which we know there are good and widespread use cases for, but beyond
that users should filter using pg_dump -F c and pg_restore --use-list.
If we try to build in every kind of filter any user might want we'll
just become horribly bloated.

What's the use case for not dumping comments? At first glance it seems a
very odd thing to do.

cheers

andrew