Re: FW: Character set equivalent for AL32UTF8

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Mridul Mathew" <mridulmathew(at)gmail(dot)com>,<ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: <rajeshwarbharathi(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: Character set equivalent for AL32UTF8
Date: 2011-08-10 18:42:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

http://decipherinfosys.wordpress.com/2007/01/28/difference-between-utf8-and-al32utf8-character-sets-in-oracle/

> If supplementary characters are inserted in a UTF8 database, they
> will be treated as 2 separate undefined characters, occupying 6
> bytes in storage. Oracle recommends using al32utf8 for any newly
> defined supplementary characters.
>
> Does PostgreSQL make a distinction within Unicode in a similar
> fashion?

It sounds as though Oracle initially failed to properly implement
the UTF-8 character encoding scheme, but rather than fix the broken
scheme they created an alternative. So far as I know, PostgreSQL
should be using proper UTF-8 encoding if you ask for it, without any
special gyrations.

-Kevin