Re: pg_xlog error

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: jcamera <jcamera(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_xlog error
Date: 2011-07-11 16:46:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11.07.2011 17:33, jcamera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problems in my database. I think it is corrupted. Folow my log
> when I tried to start it standalone.
>
> I have some questions:
>
> 1. I saw that the error is in base/30518/449778670_vm file. Can I rebuild
> this file or somethink like this?

*_vm files contain the visibility maps of each relation. Visibility maps
don't contain any user data, it's just bookkeeping information for
vacuum to skip parts of tables that don't need vacuuming. They can be
safely removed, the next vacuum will just take somewhat longer than
otherwise.

But clearly that error is an indication of corruption, and the
visibility map probably was not the only thing that got corrupted. It
looks like you're missing some WAL files, or they got corrupted. It's
likely that you need to restore from a backup. And you should try to
figure out what caused the corruption in the first place. Broken
hardware, perhaps, or fsync=off and a power outage.

> 2. In the last line of log, we can see "DEBUG: shmem_exit(1): 8 callbacks
> to make". Where can I find these transactions to do callback and/or how can
> I do these callbacks?

That's just an internal debugging line you get when the startup process
ends. You can ignore it.

--
Heikki Linnakangas