Re: Connecting over UNIX domain sockets

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Phil Clay <pilf_b(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting over UNIX domain sockets
Date: 2011-06-27 22:20:01
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 06/28/2011 03:02 AM, Phil Clay wrote:

> However, contrary to mysql's jdbc driver, postgres' jdbc driver does not appear
> to be designed in a way that a different Socket implementation could be easily
> "plugged in".

There's already support for pluggable SSLSocketFactories to wrap
sockets. Adding pluggable SocketFactory support wouldn't seem to be
overly hard, I just suspect it's a combination of nobody having needed
it and nobody having wanted it enough to take the time to write a patch.

The JDBC driver is readable and not hard to understand, so maybe you
could chuck a patch together?

(Fighting very hard to say "Oh, I'll do something like that" when I've
already volunteered for way too much).

--
Craig Ringer