Re: Contemplating SSD Hardware RAID

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Contemplating SSD Hardware RAID
Date: 2011-06-21 06:33:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 06/20/2011 11:54 PM, Dan Harris wrote:
> I understand that the majority of consumer grade SSD drives lack the
> required capacitor to complete a write on a sudden power loss. But,
> what about pairing up with a hardware controller with BBU write
> cache? Can the write cache be disabled at the drive and result in a
> safe setup?

Sometimes, but not always, and you'll be playing a risky and
unpredictable game to try it. See
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reliable_Writes for some anecdotes. And
even if the reliability works out, you'll kill the expected longevity
and performance of the drive.

> I'm exploring the combination of an Areca 1880ix-12 controller with 6x
> OCZ Vertex 3 V3LT-25SAT3 2.5" 240GB SATA III drives in RAID-10. Has
> anyone tried this combination? What nasty surprise am I overlooking
> here?

You can expect database corruption the first time something unexpected
interrupts the power to the server. That's nasty, but it's not
surprising--that's well documented as what happens when you run
PostreSQL on hardware with this feature set. You have to get a Vertex 3
Pro to get one of the reliable 3rd gen designs from them with a
supercap. (I don't think those are even out yet though) We've had
reports here of the earlier Vertex 2 Pro being fully stress tested and
working out well. I wouldn't even bother with a regular Vertex 3,
because I don't see any reason to believe it could be reliable for
database use, just like the Vertex 2 failed to work in that role.