Re: Postgres performance and the Linux scheduler

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres performance and the Linux scheduler
Date: 2011-06-16 18:31:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/16/2011 02:10 PM, Simon Windsor wrote:

> Can the performance of Postgres be boosted, especially on busy
> systems, using the none default DEADLINE Scheduler?

Some system reports moderate improvements in throughput, and sometimes
larger ones in worst-case latency, when switching from the default to
the deadline scheduler. Others report best performance with the noop
schedule. Changes here are not effective in a lot of cases though.

I wrote an article for the first issue of PostgreSQL Magazine that
mentions this, as the last of the most useful things you can tweak on
Linux; that's available at http://pgmag.org/