Re: streaming replication trigger file

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: streaming replication trigger file
Date: 2011-06-16 08:44:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/16/11 1:31 AM, AI Rumman wrote:
> When I manually create the C:\\pg\\stopreplication\\standby.txt' file,
> then it is working. That is, B is becoming the master.
> So, my question is, how this trigger file should be created so that B
> will become master automatically as soon as A goes down?

you need cluster management software, such as Heartbeat (on linux) or
Veritas Cluster Service (on various operating systems) configured to
detect system failure, and reconfigure the slave to be the master.
This software also generally is used to manage things like the shared IP

really really REALLY important is what to do when the failed original
master is brought back up. it can NOT be allowed to wake up thinking
its still a master since its lacking any updates since it went down,
instead it has to be reconfigured to be a new slave.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast