Re: procpid?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: procpid?
Date: 2011-06-15 14:29:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/14/2011 08:04 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> For me, the litmus test is whether the change provides enough
>> improvement that it outweighs the disruption when the user runs into
>> it.
>
> For the procpid that started all of this, the clear answer is no. I'm
> surprised people seriously considered making this change. It's a
> historical accident: document and move on.

It is a bug in consistency, the table pg_locks uses "pid" where
pg_stat_activity uses "procpid". That is a bug and all bugs are
accidents. We take a lot of care in fixing bugs.

This isn't just about a few characters in a query, it is about
consistency and providing an overall more sane user experience. Frankly
I don't care if we use procpid or pid but it should be one or the other
not both.

Joshua D. Drake

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579