Re: Core Extensions relocation

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Vinicius Abrahao <vinnix(dot)bsd(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, matheus(dot)espanhol(at)dextra-sw(dot)com
Subject: Re: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-06-09 15:51:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vinicius Abrahao wrote:
> This is my first post at Hackers, so sorry if I am been a noob here,
> but I am pretty confused about
> how to create the extension pg_buffercache.

This list is for talking about development of new features, normally on
the latest development version of the software (right now 9.1). There
is no such thing as CREATE EXTENSION in versions before that. A
question like "how do I install pg_buffercache for 9.0?" should normally
get sent to one of the other mailing lists; any of pgsql-performance,
pgsql-admin, or pgsql-general would be appropriate to ask that at. This
one really isn't. It's also better to avoid taking someone else's
discussion and replying to it with your questions.

> But even so, I need to ask, because my production is on another versions:
> What is the right way to install this contrib at 9.0.1, 9.0.2 and 9.0.4 ?

But since I happen to know this answer, here's an example from a RedHat
derived Linux system running PostgreSQL 9.0.4, logged in as the postgres
user:

-bash-3.2$ locate pg_buffercache.sql
/usr/pgsql-9.0/share/contrib/pg_buffercache.sql
/usr/pgsql-9.0/share/contrib/uninstall_pg_buffercache.sql
-bash-3.2$ psql -d pgbench -f
/usr/pgsql-9.0/share/contrib/pg_buffercache.sql
SET
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE VIEW
REVOKE
REVOKE
-bash-3.2$ psql -d pgbench -c "select count(*) from pg_buffercache"
count
-------
4096

The location of the file will be different on other platforms, but
that's the basic idea of how you install it.