Re: Postgresql 8.4 replication using Londiste

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 8.4 replication using Londiste
Date: 2011-06-08 20:28:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 6/8/11 12:39 PM, Maria L. Wilson wrote:
> Interested in using Londiste to set up replication of only one column in a particular database to another database on a remote Postgres server. I've installed and configured londiste on the servers - that was no problem. I just don't see anything in the docs that specify how to replicate only one column - not the entire table. Anybody out there have any expertise in this that can point me in the right direction?
Londiste is a table-level replicator.

You might be able to create one table with the column you want replicated (plus a primary key), another table with the rest of the columns, and a view to give your app the original view. Even so, you have to replicate the one column plus the PK, unless the data you're replicating is unique and can be its own PK.

On the other hand, I've noticed that Londiste doesn't know when you change a table. You might be able to create your one-column table (plus PK), start replication with Londiste, then do ALTER TABLE to add the rest of the columns. A hack for sure.

Craig