Re: SIREAD lock versus ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,<drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: SIREAD lock versus ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock
Date: 2011-06-08 00:16:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On 07.06.2011 21:10, Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> I think that leaves me with all the answers I need to get a new
>> patch out this evening (U.S. Central Time).
>
> Great, I'll review it in my morning (in about 12h)

Attached. Passes all the usual regression tests I run, plus light
ad hoc testing. All is working fine as far as this patch itself
goes, although more testing is needed to really call it sound.

If anyone is interested in the differential from version 3 of the
patch, it is the result of these two commits to my local repo:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=users/kgrittn/postgres.git;a=commitdiff;h=018b0fcbeba05317ba7066e552efe9a04e6890d9
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=users/kgrittn/postgres.git;a=commitdiff;h=fc651e2721a601ea806cf6e5d53d0676dfd26dca

During testing I found two annoying things not caused by this patch
which should probably be addressed in 9.1 if feasible, although I
don't think they rise to the level of blockers. More on those in
separate threads.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
ssi-ddl-4.patch text/plain 19.4 KB