Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-24 21:28:46
Lists: pgsql-www

On 05/20/2011 02:04 PM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> One of the hardest part of this for me is, we will lose precious URLs
> of mailing list archive items. There are bunch of places which refers
> to the URL. As they are gone, documents/mails refers to them will
> become more or less meaningless.

Would it be possible for people with serious project history in the
mailing list archives to rsync their archive directory to somewhere? I
just checked archive.org, and it doesn't seem to care about the
pgFoundry Pipermail directories either. You'd still have to rewrite the
URLs, but at least it would be a simple process.

The other strategy idea I was just thinking about is whether it would be
possible to build a URL translation table and make each project summary
page include it. For example, let's say someone visits
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgpool/ during the transition period.
What if the site read like this for the next 6 months:

Pgpool is a connection pooling/replication server for PostgreSQL.
* pgFoundry is being closed and is no longer the primary site for
this project. Update all links to use its new location:
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/
* Development Status: 5 - Production/Stable

I think it's unlikely every project maintainer will update their page
with something like this manually. Whereas building a little redirect
translation table, then iterating over updates to it until all projects
have new URLs listed, seems like it would be straightforward. Of course
I say this not knowing how/if GForge can digest such a concept.