Fwd: Re: SSDD reliability

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: Re: SSDD reliability
Date: 2011-05-04 19:24:17
Lists: pgsql-general

>No problem with that, for a first step. ***BUT*** the failures in this article and
>many others I've read about are not in high-write db workloads, so they're not write wear,
>they're just crappy electronics failing.

As a (lapsed) electronics design engineer, I'm suspicious of the notion that
a subassembly consisting of solid state devices surface-mounted on FR4 substrate will fail
except in very rare (and of great interest to the manufacturer) circumstances.
And especially suspicious that one product category (SSD) happens to have a much
higher failure rate than all others.

Consider that an SSD is much simpler (just considering the electronics) than a traditional
disk drive, and subject to less vibration and heat.
Therefore one should see disk drives failing at the same (or higher rate).
Even if the owner is highly statically charged, you'd expect the to destroy all categories
of electronics at roughly the same rate (rather than just SSDs).

So if someone says that SSDs have "failed", I'll assume that they suffered from Flash cell
wear-out unless there is compelling proof to the contrary.