First part of Luis's project for GSoC2011

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: First part of Luis's project for GSoC2011
Date: 2011-05-01 09:28:27
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

Luis has been accepted for this year GSoC. Congrats to him. Luis and I
will try to stick with pgadmin-hackers list whenever possible.

Luis's project is divided in some parts, each one ending with a
commitable patch. Or at least, that's the goal.

First part is to get a patch of the Database Designer that we could
commit. Means Luis should work from what he did last year and what I did
after him to reach a commitable state. IOW, no more features, get rid of
unstable/not needed features, get rid of "TODO", or "will fix later"
comments, etc.

This part should start on May, 24th, and end on June, 5th. It's actually
doable. The main thing that kept me from doing it is a bug I found and
was unable to fix. It seems Luis found a fix, which works for me.

So, I think we need to start working on our current tree (master, which
is right now 1.14 beta 1). Luis, could you extract a patch from what I
did on https://github.com/gleu/pgadmin3/tree/ticket225 + your bug fix,
and put that on a current head, and finally publish it on github? You'll
be able to start working from that repository. It would be better to do
it now than on the 24th because, even if I think it's doable, there is
not too much time.

Then the main thing to do is search any comments such as "//DD-TODO:
Implement this function" or "//DD-TODO: improve this number" (either you
implement it or you drop it, the latter would be better), or
"//colType=type;" (code not needed should be deleted). Comments are
fine, but code in comments without an explanation is a bad thing. I'm
also not a big fan of message box with "To be implemented soon..."
messages. You should better get rid of them. This kind of code
(context.DrawText(wxString(wxT("NOOOOOO!!!! whyyyyyyy (temporary fix
this and not show any message)")),100,100);) should be replaced with a
wxLogInfo or an Assert, with a better message.

IOW, basically, what you should do is review each DD file, looking for
stange comments, and fix them. Then you should try your designer with
different database structures/schemas, to see if it works great. Each
issue should be fixed.

I'll of course test your code, at least at the end, but I think I'll
read each commit on your github repository too.

Any comments? (Luis and others of course)

BTW, I expect weekly reports sent to this mailing list, so that every
one could comment on the work done so far.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr