Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com, greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Date: 2011-04-18 19:17:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/18/11 10:57 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> So first of all, no it's not fixable with sed. But secondly, writing
> "*please*" here seems to evince a level of frustration which is
> entirely out of proportion to the really rather mild comments which
> preceded it. What made you write it that way?

I'll admit that the conversation I'd had at the Drizzle BOF the previous
night strongly influenced me.

> to this continual commentary that we
> are not nice enough to people, especially newcomers. Well, OK, maybe
> we're not. But you know what? We're trying really hard, and getting
> accused of being nasty when we actually weren't is kind of a tough
> pill to swallow ... But
> in this case I think you were too quick off the trigger

Well, my apologies to you. You are probably correct.

In any case, I think the answer to this is constructive; better
documentation and tools to let submitters get their code into good shape
in the first place so that we don't have discussions about formatting.
That way we waste *neither* the reviewers' nor the submitters' time.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.