Deferred foreign key constraint downsides

From: Jack Christensen <jackc(at)hylesanderson(dot)edu>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Deferred foreign key constraint downsides
Date: 2011-04-08 19:08:19
Lists: pgsql-general

I recently had cause to use a deferred foreign key constraint for the
first time. I like it. It seems it could make life simpler, especially
when an obstinate ORM insists on doing things in the wrong order.

The only downside I can see is it may be harder to track down where a
violation occurred since the error won't be raised until commit.

Are there any other downsides to just setting all my foreign keys to
initially deferred?

Thanks.

--
Jack Christensen