Re: postgres conferences missing videos?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres conferences missing videos?
Date: 2011-04-01 03:37:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On 22/03/2011 7:47 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Dne 21.3.2011 20:23, Vick Khera napsal(a):
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Aljoša Mohorović
>> <aljosa(dot)mohorovic(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> postgres is losing a lot of promotional and educational materials, why
>>> is this happening?
>>>

>> Someone has to do lots of work to tape the talks, get proper
>> permissions from the presenters, and then host the videos. Often this
>> would land on the shoulders of the conference organizers, who are
>> already working hard just to pull off the live show.
>
> Not that much - I've recorded local JUG monthly meetings for more than a
> year. With a decent DV cam and a microphone, it's quite easy. After all,
> it's just a pearson standing and talking, not a LOTR ...

Yep ... and something many people don't realize is that they don't even
need a dedicated DV cam anymore. Many "still" digital cameras make
excellent video cameras now.

My Canon PowerShot SX20IS compact camera takes great 720p video and
supports a sound patch if desired, though the directional mike on the
camera is surprisingly good. I can zoom seriously deep and still get a
good result thanks to the high-range lens, too. My work's Canon EOS 50D
does even more impressive video - and the 5D Mark II the photographer
uses is incredible.

Many people have low-end SLR or high-end fixed cameras that're really
good video cameras, they just don't know it. Many of them will have
tripods, and a basic tripod for fixed indoor use is cheap anyway.

Given that, I wouldn't think that gear is much of an obstacle.

--
Craig Ringer