Re: Additional options for Sync Replication

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Additional options for Sync Replication
Date: 2011-03-29 18:48:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/29/11 7:48 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> I don't want a release as soon as possible, I want the best we are able
> to provide, and I think adding in current $subject patch helps reaching
> this goal. <include "baring show stoppers" QA disclaimer>

There will *always* be more work we can do on sync rep. If we hold the
release until we're done tinkering with it, we'll never release. Our
project has had a chronic issue with not being able to progress from
feature freeze to release in a timely fashion for years, and the sort of
argument expressed above isn't helping.

The relevant question is: is sync rep unusable by a large portion of our
users because this feature was stripped from what got committed, or is
it a value-add feature which makes synch rep nicer? If the former, it's
a bug and we should patch it; if the latter, it should wait until 9.2.

> Writing such long emails seems to be just filibustering to me. I doubt
> anyone has read and considered every word, there are just too many. A
> form of disrespect.

Simon, Robert has been nothing but respectful to you. You can't accuse
him of being rude and hostile just because he disagrees with you.
Overselling his case, certainly. But very politely.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.