Re: JDBC gripe list

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Donald Fraser" <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net>, "[JDBC]" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC gripe list
Date: 2011-03-29 23:22:55
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

"Donald Fraser" <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net> wrote:

> I already have a lot of experience with a modified PosgreSQL 7.4
> driver and notification threads. Our company has been using it
> since 2005.

Are you talking about modifying the driver to generate and deliver
events when there is a notification (as in PostgreSQL LISTEN/NOTIFY)
on a connection? If so, that's an interesting feature and it would
be interesting to see a patch.

It's not what we've been discussing on this thread, though,
regarding Timer and threads. We're talking about implementing this:

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html#setQueryTimeout%28int%29

Have you implemented something for that? I don't think your
concerns about timer events bunching up really applies a whole lot
to this -- these would be one-shot timers; we're not talking about
using an interval.

-Kevin