Re: Triggers in pgadmin query tools

From: Francois Legrand <legrand(at)lpnhe(dot)in2p3(dot)fr>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, mshapiro51(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Triggers in pgadmin query tools
Date: 2011-03-28 08:52:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi all,
Are triggers are fired "only once by connection" ?
Here is my point.

I found a really strange behaviour of the pgadmin II with triggers.
I activated the detailed logs on my server thus I could monitor
everything, and the point is the following :

1) I open the query tool
2) I do a first insert in my table ==> The trigger is fired
3) I do a second (and more) insert in my table ==> The trigger is NOT fired
4) I close the query tool and open it again and do an insert ==> the
trigger is fired

Thus it appears that when I run several inserts from the query tool, the
trigger is fired the first time but not anymore after.
I found that this is exactly the same if I add lines directly from the
"Edit data" window. The first line I add fire the trigger, but the
others no.

Moreover, it is also the same from the psql tool.
I open psql, do an insert : the trigger is fired. But if I do a second
insert, the trigger is not fired.

*Thus it appears that triggers are fired "only once by connection" !*

I found that someone had the same problem
(http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg23094.html)

Is that normal ? Is it possible to fix that in the server configuration ?

I would appreciate some feedback on this issue !
Thanks in advance

F.