characters or bytes?

From: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: characters or bytes?
Date: 2011-03-26 22:20:41
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Hello,

During translating start.sgml - I found a sentence where I am not sure
if it is correct.

tutorial-createdb.html

Second paragraph below the "permission denied to create a database"
error message there is
the sentence:

" You can also create databases with other names. PostgreSQL allows
you to create any number of databases at a given site. Database names
must have an alphabetic first character and are limited to 63 characters
in length. ..."

Really 63 characters?
Shouldn't it be 63 bytes?

Susanne