Re: Re: making write location work (was: Efficient transaction-controlled synchronous replication)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>,<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: making write location work (was: Efficient transaction-controlled synchronous replication)
Date: 2011-03-24 12:16:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:

>> At least as I understand it, it's not our project policy to carry
>> around code that doesn't accomplish anything useful. I have no
>> objection to keeping the field; I simply think that if we're
>> going to have it, we should make it work

> What a stupid conversation.

That hardly seems like a convincing response. Adding a column to a
view when the column contains meaninful values seems less likely to
break things than initially adding it with a different value,
identical to another column, and then changing the semantics.

+1 for either dropping it or making it work.

-Kevin