User mapping

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: User mapping
Date: 2011-03-23 22:10:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

I'm looking at adding user mapping support. My first idea was to add
them as children of foreign servers, but it doesn't seem this was a
really good idea. They have no OIDs, no owners, no comments... geez, no
nothing actually. They don't seem like objects, meaning they can't be in
their own node (with no OID, refresh wouldn't work for example).

My second idea was to add a "User mapping" tab on the foreign server
dialog, so that we could directly add user mapping to servers. It still
seems a good idea to me.

SQL commands are quite simple:

CREATE USER MAPPING FOR { user_name | USER | CURRENT_USER | PUBLIC }
SERVER server_name
[ OPTIONS ( option 'value' [ , ... ] ) ]

ALTER USER MAPPING FOR { user_name | USER | CURRENT_USER | PUBLIC }
SERVER server_name
OPTIONS ( [ ADD | SET | DROP ] option ['value'] [, ... ] )

DROP USER MAPPING [ IF EXISTS ] FOR { user_name | USER | CURRENT_USER |
PUBLIC } SERVER server_name

There's something that bugs me right now: the OPTIONS clause. Can't
think of a good UI for it.

Do you think user mapping should have its own node? or that we could
handle them in a tab of the foreign server dialog?

I'll be glad to hear about any ideas you could have on this subject :)

Thanks.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr