Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Efficient transaction-controlled synchronous replication.

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Efficient transaction-controlled synchronous replication.
Date: 2011-03-23 12:16:39
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 03/23/2011 12:52 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Yes. What this won't do is let you build a big load-balancing network
> (at least not without great caution about what you assume).

This sounds too strong to me. Session-aware load balancing is pretty
common these days. It's the default mode of PgBouncer, for example.
Not much caution required there, IMO. Or what pitfalls did you have in
mind?

> What it
> will do is make it really, really hard to lose committed transactions.
> Both good things, but different.

..you can still get both at the same time. At least as long as you are
happy with session-aware load balancing. And who really needs finer
grained balancing?

(Note that no matter how fine-grained you balance, you are still bound
to a (single core of a) single node. That changes with distributed
querying, and things really start to get interesting there... but we are
far from that, yet).

Regards

Markus