Re: BUG #5867: wish: plpgsql print table for debug

From: Richard Neill <rjn(at)richardneill(dot)org>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Neill <rn214(at)richardneill(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Richard Neill <postgresql(at)richardneill(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5867: wish: plpgsql print table for debug
Date: 2011-03-03 18:35:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dear Pavel,

Thanks for your help.

>> Do you not think it would be really amazingly useful? After all, in C, the
>> single most useful debugging tool is "fprintf(stderr,...)", and yet
>> postgresql doesn't have an equivalent that can operate on the most common
>> data format. [I'm stretching the analogy a bit here, but it seems to me that
>> a multi-row table is to postgresql as int is to C.]
>
> it's nonsense - PL/pgSQL is procedural language - so there are same -
> similar types like C

Sorry - I perhaps over-stretched the analogy. What I meant was that, at
least apparently, SQL "types" include anything that can result from an
SQL statement, including an individual "record" or an entire temporary
table. I know that strictly speaking this isn't true, but it seems to me
that one should be able to do:
RAISE NOTICE (SELECT ....)

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION debug_query(text)
> RETURNS void AS $$
> DECLARE r record;
> BEGIN
> FOR r IN EXECUTE $1 LOOP
> RAISE NOTICE r;
> END;
> END;
> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Thanks for your help - but I'm afraid this doesn't actually work. psql
rejects the line "RAISE NOTICE r;"

Raise notice expects a format string and some variables, very similar to
printf(). This means that we'd have to write something like:
RAISE NOTICE ('first %, second %, third %', col1, col2, col3;
except that our debug_query function doesn't know in advance how many
columns there are, (or the types and their names).

Richard