Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)debian(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Date: 2011-02-17 18:23:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/17/2011 12:34 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> Uh, don't we have a psql built via MSVC? Doesn't it work interactively?
>>
>> Not if you want readline. And in my book that's a requirement of a psql
>> that's usable interactively. It's pretty horrible to use without it.
> Well, as horrible as other Windows apps. I will leave others to decide
> if that is usable. ;-) I am unclear if we would ship readline support
> on Windows even if we didn't have a license issue (no OS readline
> version on Windows).

Windows developers almost universally work from GUIs and not using
console apps (and that's true of many Unix developers also, particularly
those who can't recall a time when X-Windows wasn't almost universally
available). Microsoft has de-emphasized console apps for 15 years. So
the only people who are likely to be interested in using an enhanced
psql on Windows are old Unix-heads like you and me. It's not worth a lot
of effort, IMNSHO.

cheers

andrew