Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Date: 2011-02-14 12:37:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 02/10/2011 11:34 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> It seems we may have a problem to consider. As far as I know, we are the
> only major platform that supports libedit but our default is readline.
> Unfortunately readline is not compatible with OpenSSL (apparently?)
> licensing.

Anybody realized that this Debian bug (and several others) got closed in
the mean time (Sunday)? According to the changelog [1], Martin Pitt
(which I'm CC'ing here, as he might not be aware of this thread, yet)
worked around this issue by pre-loading readline via LD_PRELOAD for psql.

Personally, I'm a bit suspicious about that solution (technically as
well as from a licensing perspective), but it's probably the simplest
way to let only psql link against readline.

Regards

Markus Wanner

[1]: Changelog for postgresql-common on Debian:
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/p/postgresql-common/current/changelog