Re: Database Design Question

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Design Question
Date: 2011-02-02 19:08:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On 02/02/11 10:32 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I was sitting down thinking the other day about when is it good to
> generate a new database or just use an existing one. For example, lets
> say my company name is called 'databasedummy.org' and I have a
> database called 'dbdummy'. Now I need PostgreSQL to manage several
> applications for my company:
>
> - webmail
> - software
> - mediawiki
> - phpbb forum
>
> Now what I've been doing is just creating multiple tables in the
> 'dbdummy' database but each table is owned by different users
> depending on their role. Is this bad? Should I be creating new
> databases for each application above rather than one single company
> database?
>
> Just trying to understand good DBA design practice. This is obviously
> a very general question but any feedback on what good or bad issues
> would come from me dumping all my tables for applications in one
> database or spread out across multiple databases on PostgreSQL.

I would create a seperate database for each thing that has nothing to do
with the other things. I doubt mediawiki and phpbb will ever share
any data, they are totally different applications, each is a self
contained world. ditto your webmail. the other item there,
'software', well, I have no idea what that means specifically.