Automatic database monitoring tool for PostgreSQL ... new project

From: Michael Justin <michael(dot)justin(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Automatic database monitoring tool for PostgreSQL ... new project
Date: 2011-01-31 18:28:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Two weeks ago I started a new open source software project (FireAlarm,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/firealarm/) which helps to detect
performance problems on Firebird SQL servers - by continuous analysis of
system tables which are very similar to the PostgreSQL Statistics Views.

While I am still new to PostgreSQL and have real world experience with
DB2 InterBase and Firebird only I am interested to write a similar tool
for PostgreSQL.

Maybe there are articles or discussions which help to get an
introduction to the practical usage of PostgreSQL Statistics Views, like
typical queries used to identify potential problems? Just to give an
example: on InterBase and Firebird, long running transactions can cause
performance problems, and a typical system monitoring task is to find
the clients or processes with the oldest transactions (older than x
minutes).

Regards
--
Michael Justin