Re: mingw64

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: JonY <jon_y(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, MinGW Users List <mingw-users(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: mingw64
Date: 2011-01-28 15:23:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/28/2011 08:09 AM, JonY wrote:

> On 1/28/2011 18:19, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> configure:7071: checking for zic
>>> configure:7104: result: no
>>> configure:7113: error:
>>> When cross-compiling, either use the option --with-system-tzdata to use
>>> existing time-zone data, or set the environment variable ZIC to a zic
>>> program to use during the build.
>> Why are you cross-compiling? I built without any need to do that. Change
>> the names of the binaries on the m mingw64/bin directory to remove the
>> platform prefix, put that directory at the head of your PATH, and run a
>> plain configure. Works like a charm.
>>
>> You should probably wait a little while (i.e a week or so) for me to
>> work out the wrinkles in this. Then I will publish some instructions on
>> the wiki.
> Hi,
>
> the mingw64 toolchain is usually built as a cross compiler, so its not
> his fault there, its not supposed to be renamed. Will it be possible to
> check first if the host machine actually allows using tzdata related
> stuff before erroring out?
>
> Disclaimer: I don't know anything about tzdata or zic other than its for
> timezone information.

Maybe that's true. But Windows doesn't come wth zic nor a timezone
database like Unix usually has. Part of the reason we started
maintaining our own timezone sets was that we needed it on Windows. And
since we do mke rovision for that, jumping through these hoops seems
silly. I'm much more interested in building 64 bit Postgres for Windows
natively than as a cross compilation, and as I reported yesterday, it's
entirely possible. The cross-compilaion without renaming failed
miserably on my setuo, because, for example, configure used the wrong ar.

If you want to cross-compile on Windows, then the best solution seems to
be to build the native zic in the Postgres source, stash it away
somewhere, and then use that in your cross compilation. Ugh.

cheers

andrew