Re: Caution when removing git branches

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Caution when removing git branches
Date: 2011-01-27 17:14:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> OK, someone removes a branch.

As was explained earlier on this thread, it's not gone at that
point; it's a dangling reference. I think that unless someone
explicitly "prunes" the dangling references, they are left around
for a week, and can easily be checked out again.

> If it is still in his local tree, he can push it back. If not, he
> has to go around and find someone who does have it, and who has
> the most recent copy?

If it actually is gone from the server, you can fall back to this,
yeah.

> Can master be removed too?

I don't think so.

-Kevin