Re: The system cannot execute the specified program in windows xp (service pack 3)

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: "prabakaran(dot)a" <prabakaran(dot)a(at)zohocorp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The system cannot execute the specified program in windows xp (service pack 3)
Date: 2010-12-30 21:43:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/30/10 6:39 AM, prabakaran.a wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We are using Postgresql 9.0.1(binary) in our Java Application.
>
> In some windows xp sp3 machines, we found that the executable files
> related to postgresql are not working. while executing those files(ex:
> initdb.exe), following error thrown in console "The system cannot
> execute the specified program" .Other executable files not related to
> postgresql working fine.
>
> By comparing working and non-working machines, came to know that some
> *.VC90.* files and directories are missing from C:\Windows\WinSxS\
> Then we copied *.VC90.* related files and directories from
> C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\ ,C:\Windows\WinSxS\Policies\ (working
> system) to non-working system.
> After that, executable files under postgresql seems to be working but
> facing locale problems.(ex:Informations are in swedish).
>
> If any one knows please help me out.

Blindly copying files into the Windows "Side by Side" assembly cache
sounds very sketchy to me.

My guess is, those systems need the VC90 runtime redistributables
package installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en>