Re: SELECT INTO large FKyed table is slow

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Mario Splivalo" <mario(dot)splivalo(at)megafon(dot)hr>, "Pierre C" <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Mladen Gogala" <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SELECT INTO large FKyed table is slow
Date: 2010-12-02 18:43:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mario Splivalo <mario(dot)splivalo(at)megafon(dot)hr> wrote:

> It is OT, but, could you please shead just some light on that?
> Part of my next project is to test performance of pg9 on both
> windows and linux systems so I'd appreciate any data/info you both
> may have.

I don't know how much was the filesystem, but with both tuned to the
best of our ability Linux on xfs ran much faster than Windows on
NTFS. The lack of atomic operations and a lockfile utility on
Windows/NTFS was something of a handicap. I have found Linux to be
much more reliable and (once I got my bash scripting knowledge of
common Linux utilities to a certain level), much easier to
administer. Getting my head around xargs was, I think, the tipping
point. ;-)

-Kevin