Re: Clarification, please

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org >> \"pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org\"" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clarification, please
Date: 2010-12-01 17:28:17
Lists: pgsql-novice
Tom Lane wrote:
> Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com> writes:
>> In Oracle, deferrable primary keys are enforced by non-unique indexes.
>> That seems logical,
> ... maybe to an Oracle guy ...

I humbly admit being one. I am getting used to the life without the dark
side of the force, however. I saw the light, I am saved. When the
rapture comes, I will not be left behind.  However, I still have to
maintain a rather big 4-way Oracle RAC configuration and some satellite
Oracle databases.

>> When the constraint is deferred in the transaction block, however, it
>> tolerates duplicate values until the end of transaction:
> Sure.  That's exactly per spec: the check is deferred to end of
> transaction.  If the duplicated index entries are both/all still live
> at that time, you get an error.

I agree with you. I was only wandering how was it done with a unique index.

> We do still execute the insertion-time uniqueness check, but instead of
> throwing an error on failure, we just queue a trigger event to recheck
> that key before commit.  If the insertion-time check passes then there's
> no need for a recheck later.  This is a win because the insertion-time
> check is cheap, being integrated into the insertion process itself.
> 			regards, tom lane
Thanks for a wonderful explanation. That's all I needed.

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA
1500 Broadway
New York, NY 10036