Re: managing access to database

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: tomislavb <tomica101(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: managing access to database
Date: 2010-11-25 07:37:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Le 23/11/2010 13:24, tomislavb a écrit :
> [...]
> i've seen this is a popular topic but haven't found any concrete answers so
> far.
> So my scenario is this :
>
> - created a new user with :
> sudo -u postgres createuser -D -A -P john
>
> - created a new database with :
> sudo -u postgres createdb -E 'UTF8' -O john test
>
> - added plpgsql
> sudo -u postgres createlang plpgsql test
>
> After that i wanted to allow "external" access to the "test" database.
> So i tried configuring the pg_hba.conf file.
> In my first attempt i added this line to pg_hba.conf:
> host all john 0.0.0.0/0 md5
> And john had connect access to access to all databases and admin access to
> his "test" database.
>
> After that i wanted give john admin access to his "test" db, and absolutely
> no access to other databases.
> host test john 0.0.0.0/0 md5
>
> It doesnt work. Can't login through pg_admin.
> I've played with revoking access to other databases, but to no avail.
>
> I'm quite positive i'm not the first one with this issue.
> There is a similar
> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Extended-security-restriction-to-any-role-with-login-access-td2089118.html#a2089128
> thread on the matter..
>
> Any help would be very appreciated.

Your help to resolve your issue would be very appreciated, for example
by giving us the error message you have when you try to connect :)

Anyway, we can try and guess that you forgot to change listen_addresses.
If this postgresql.conf parameter is 'localhost', then you should change
it to be '*'. After that, you restart PostgreSQL, and you should be able
to connect from pgAdmin.

If it doesn't work, give us the error message and your full pg_hba.conf
file (mind you, the lines order are important).

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr