Re: changing MyDatabaseId

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: changing MyDatabaseId
Date: 2010-11-17 10:58:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas,

On 11/17/2010 11:38 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Well, one could optimize most of the resetting away if the the old
> MyDatabaseId and the new one are the same - an optimization which is hardly
> possible with forking new backends.

Uh? Why not simply re-use the same backend, then? Or do you think of
re-connecting to the same database as a way to reset your connection?

> Also I think it could lower the impact due locking the procarray an related
> areas.

That may be, yes. But as pointed out by Tom and Alvaro, you'd have to
adhere to a compatible sequence of changes to shared memory to avoid
race conditions. That possibly requires using a very similar locking
sequence as the combination of a detaching and a newly starting backend
would use.

Regards

Markus Wanner