Re: Survey on backing up unlogged tables: help us with PostgreSQL development!

From: Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Survey on backing up unlogged tables: help us with PostgreSQL development!
Date: 2010-11-17 02:47:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/16/2010 05:55 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> If you do wish to have the data tossed out for no good reason every so
>> often, then there ought to be a separate attribute to control that. I'm
>> really having trouble seeing how such behavior would be desirable enough
>> to ever have the server do it for you, on its terms rather than yours.
>
> I don't quite follow you. The purpose of unlogged tables is for data
> which is disposable in the event of downtime; the classic example is the
> a user_session_status table. In the event of a restart, all user
> sessions are going to be invalid anyway.

As was already mentioned, application logs. Unlogged tables would be
perfect for that, provided they don't go *poof* every now and then for
no good reason. Nobody's going to be too heart broken if a handful of
log records go missing, or get garbled, after a server crash or power
outage. Delete 'em all after every restart though, and that's a problem.

-Glen