Re: Simple (hopefully) throughput question?

From: Nick Matheson <Nick(dot)D(dot)Matheson(at)noaa(dot)gov>
To: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple (hopefully) throughput question?
Date: 2010-11-04 14:34:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

Marti-
> Just some ideas that went through my mind when reading your post
> PostgreSQL 8.3 and later have 22 bytes of overhead per row, plus
> page-level overhead and internal fragmentation. You can't do anything
> about row overheads, but you can recompile the server with larger
> pages to reduce page overhead.
>

>> Is there any way using stored procedures (maybe C code that calls
>> SPI directly) or some other approach to get close to the expected 35
>> MB/s doing these bulk reads?
>>

> Perhaps a simpler alternative would be writing your own aggregate
> function with four arguments.
>
> If you write this aggregate function in C, it should have similar
> performance as the sum() query.

You comments seem to confirm some of our foggy understanding of the
storage 'overhead' and nudge us in the direction of C stored procedures.

Do you have any results or personal experiences from moving calculations
in this way? I think we are trying to get an understanding of how much
we might stand to gain by the added investment.

Thanks,

Nick