Re: BBU Cache vs. spindles

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,<jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BBU Cache vs. spindles
Date: 2010-10-23 16:41:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

Rob Wultsch wrote:

> I really would like to work with PG more and this seems like
> [full_page_writes] would be a significant hindrance for certain
> usage patterns. Lots of replication does not take place over gig...

Certainly most of the Wisconsin State Courts replication takes place
over WAN connections at a few Mbps. I haven't seen any evidence that
having full_page_writes on has caused us problems, personally.

In the PostgreSQL community you generally need to show some hard
numbers from a repeatable test case for the community to believe that
there's a problem which needs fixing, much less to buy in to some
particular fix for the purported problem. On the other hand, if you
can show that there actually *is* a problem, I've never seen a group
which responds so quickly and effectively to solve it as the
PostgreSQL community. Don't get too attached to a particular
solution without proof that it's better than the alternatives,
though....

-Kevin