Re: Simplifying replication

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simplifying replication
Date: 2010-10-22 01:09:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Very true. But the lack of a -1 setting for wal_keep_segments means
>> that if you would like to take a backup without archiving, you must
>> set wal_keep_segments to a value greater than or equal to the rate at
>> which you generate WAL segments multiplied by the time it takes you to
>> run a backup. If that doesn't qualify as requiring arcane knowledge,
>> I'm mystified as to what ever could.

Speaking of which, what's the relationship between checkpoint_segments
and wal_keep_segments? PG seems perfectly willing to let me set the
latter higher than the former, and it's not documented.

If checkpoint_segments were a hard limit, then we could let admins set
wal_keep_segments to -1, knowing that they'd set checkpoint_segments to
the max space they had available.

Although we might want to rename those.

--
-- Josh Berkus